Wednesday, February 20, 2013

«Korean Drama» Rooftop Prince Review

Rooftop prince korean drama
Original Title: 옥탑방 왕세자 (Ok-tab-bang-eui Wang-se-ja) 
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
Episodes: 20

Summary:

When Crown Prince Lee Gak is transported 300 years into the future to present day Seoul along with his three retainers, they believe that it is their duty to solve the murder case of the Crown Princess in order to return to Joseon. They land in the rooftop apartment of Park Ha, a cheerful woman in her mid-20s, who eventually believes the odd quartet's predicament and becomes their guardian. As Park Ha educates the four on life in the 21st century, Lee Gak comes across Hong Se Na, who seems to be the reincarnation of his wife.Taking on the identity of Yong Tae Yong, Lee Gak slowly begins to unravel the murder of Yong Tae Yong and in turn moves closer to solving the murder case of the Crown Princess. As he finds himself in love with Park Ha, he figures that maybe the Crown Princess was not so perfect after all... Source: http://www.viki.com/

Main Casts:

Micky Yoochun (Park Yoochun) - Lee Gak / Yong Tae Yong / Terrence Yong
Choi Won Hong - young Lee Gak
Han Ji Min - Park Ha / Bu Yong
Jun Min Seo - young Park Ha / young Bu Yong
Lee Tae Sung - Yong Tae Mu / Tommy Yong
Jung Yoo Mi - Hong Se Na / Hwa Yong
Kim So Hyun - young Se Na / young Hwa Yong

Rooftop Prince Review:

It's very rare for me to make reviews with Korean Dramas. I usually watched them in television but since lately I seldom did (because of pressures from work), I only had chance to watch them online if I had spare time.

Honestly speaking, I would never had the interest to watch it if not of my sister. She said that this drama was so hilarious that I "must" watch it, haha. It's more like a command than recommendation though. It flickered interest in me, and just last night I decided to watch it.

I'm way too far halfway but the first few episodes are more than enough to set my mind to watch it all the way no matter how long it will take☺. And I never, even a bit, did regret watching it despite the fact that I got horrible eye bags in my face. I also yawned always, almost every hour at my work. Nonetheless, it was nothing to me. What's more important is I have to finish watching it.


The story is a comedy-romance mixed with action and mystery. But, what's more to look forward is the development between the main characters from different "period of time" specifically 300 years difference. The way they are culture-shocked and behaving in the modern world was so hilarious and damn funny. The scenes where they look so silly and stupid and like idiots are making me laugh hard enough to the point that I actually cried. Oh, I still can remember by now their ridiculous expressions as they encountered "strange things" that aren't even there in their period. Indeed, that confused them but thanks to their guardian they were able to gradually cope-up to the modern world...

Let's talk about the characters. I know it's still too early to judge them as I am still in the first few episodes so just let me make an assessment with my first impressions to them.


First with the Crown Prince Lee Gak. Just like the usual Crown Prince I normally saw in TV (only in TV as I haven't actually known someone since I am living here in a democratic country, duh ^_^), it's inevitable that they are pompous, arrogant and conceited. Well, at least not to all the Prince in the movie. Despite those downsides which make his character more enthralling, he is also kind, wise and intelligent. On the other side, Tae Yong (Terrence Yong) who resembles the Prince is— okay, I have to watch more episodes to tell what type of person he is though I'm certain he's rather happy-go-lucky kind of guy as far as I can tell by now, haha. 

Park Ha. She is definitely pretty, cheerful and kind and living a quiet normal life despite the hardships and troubles she had. I believe she is the reincarnation of Bu Yong (the girl with the scar on her face) who could possibly win as the Crown Princess if not of her older sister. Pak Ha is a small store vendor who lived at the rooftop where the 4 historical people☺ suddenly appeared by chance. Since that day forward, her life has changed and turned upside down— between the past and the future. 

Tae Mu. Tae Mu's smart and ruthless as they say, or as you see. He's jealousy towards Tae Yong's corporate position and the fact that he is not blood-related to Tae Yong's grandmother (which happens to be the CEO of the company he's working at) is consuming him. He'll do anything to get what he wants. He is also Se Na's secret lover. 

Se Na. She's an annoying yet beautiful villain. Her fashion style is outstanding as much as her hairstyle (is it the bubbly style? Anyway, she looks so gorgeous with that style though). Physical beauty is not the only thing to consider though. She's ambitious, scheming and impolite and intelligent as well. She's working as a secretary in Tae Yong's company. She holds grudges towards Park Ha (that I don't know why and where did it all started). In the past life, she's the cunning Crown Princess who was killed by i-dunno-whoever-he-is and left in the river floating aback.

 The 3 entourage; Song Man-bo, Wu Yong-sul and Do Chi-san. The comedy is not complete without these hilarious followers of the Prince. They pull-off jokes naturally even with their serious faces on. Their ignorance, together with the Prince, are simply epic! hahaha... Really, I love them so much... I do not know if I will enjoy the show without them.

That's it! I guess I'm going to make an episode by episode review on this drama as I do really like it so much ^_^. For those who haven't watch it yet, be sure you do...

A dosage of drama and comedy. Watch the trailer...!

You can watch the whole episode HERE... Just to warn you that some of the subtitles are annoyingly rumbled it doesn't go with the right words. Nevertheless, you can use your common sense though.